Pad Thai – Happy Pear (serves 4)
- 4 nests (320g) of whole wheat noodles (or brown rice noodles / buckwheat noodles)
- 2 red onions
- 3 cloves of garlic
- ½ a thumb-size piece of fresh ginger
- 3 stalks of lemongrass
- 1 medium fresh chilli
- 2 red peppers
- 1 yellow pepper
- 3 tbsp water
- 150g sugar snap peas/baby spinach
- 150g beansprouts
- a small bunch of fresh coriander
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds
- 6 tbsp tamari/soy sauce
- 3 tbsp honey
- juice of 2 limes
- Cook the noodles as per instruction. When cooked, rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Peel and finely chop the onions, garlic and ginger. Peel the lemongrass, cut off both the root and the top ⅓ of it, slice it lengthwise in half and chop finely. De-seed and finely chop the chilli, and the red & yellow peppers into bite sized pieces.
- Put the onions, garlic, ginger, lemongrass and chilli to a large frying pan/ wok together with 3 tbsp of water and sauté for 5 mins, until the onions become translucent.
- Add the peppers and fry for another 4 mins.
- Put the ingredients for the sauce (tamari/soy sauce, honey and lime juice) into a small bowl and stir.
- Add the sugars snaps/baby spinach, bean sprouts, noodles and the sauce to a pan. Stir on a medium heat, until all the noodles start turning brownish from the sauce.
- Take off the heat when everything is piping hot. Garnish with chopped coriander and sesame seeds.