Shoulder & Wrist Stretches
These exercises are not suitable if you have any known inflammation, pain or serious joint damage.
Always speak with your doctor before attempting new stretches or treatments. If you are experiencing any pain currently its important to determine the exact cause of your shoulder or wrist pain first.
- Sitting straight in your chair with perfect posture, place your arms at shoulder level with a 90-degree bend in your elbows.
- Keeping your head and torso stationary, slowly move your arms overhead, reaching your hands toward the ceiling. Try to keep your arms in line with your ears as you move up to the ceiling and slowly back to the starting position.
- You should feel some pulling in your midback, which helps to relax your spine.
- Repeat 10 times.
- Keep your back straight and your chin tucked in.
- Roll your shoulders forward, up, back, and down in a circular motion.
- Repeat 10 times, then reverse.
Upper Traps stretch
- Sitting with your back straight, tilt your head sideways toward your shoulder.
- For a larger stretch, drop your shoulder blade on the opposite side toward the floor.
- Hold for 10 seconds.
- Repeat twice on each side.
Cross Body Shoulder Stretch
- Stand with the feet hip-width apart.
- Stretch the right arm out straight.
- Bring the right arm across the body, so that the hand points to the floor on the other side of the left leg.
- Bend the left arm at the elbow.
- Hook the left forearm under the right arm, supporting the right arm above the elbow.
- Use the left forearm to pull the right arm further in and across the body, stretching the back of the right shoulder.
- Hold this for 20 seconds, then repeat the stretch on the other side.
Shoulder stretches have numerous potential health benefits. Stretching can:
- reduce tension
- relieve pain
- increase mobility
- reduce the risk of muscle and joint injury
- improve posture
Practicing simple wrist exercises can help prevent injury. Exercises can strengthen your wrists and keep your hands and fingers flexible.
Always speak with your doctor before attempting new stretches or treatments. If you are experiencing any pain currently its important to determine the exact cause of your wrist pain first.
Wrist Flexor and Extension exercises
- Stand with one arm out in front of you and your palm facing the ground.
- With your other hand, gently pull your fingers of the outstretched arm back. You should feel the stretch in the underside of your wrist.
- Hold for a moment or two, then release.
- Next, keeping your arm straight, use your other hand to push your fingers and palm down and toward your body. Hold a few seconds, then release.
- Repeat with your other arm.
Praying position stretches
- While standing, place your palms together in a praying position. Have your elbows touch each other. Your hands should be in front of your face. Your arms should be touching each other from the tips of your fingers to your elbows.
- With your palms pressed together, slowly spread your elbows apart. Do this while lowering your hands to waist height. Stop when your hands are in front of your belly button or you feel the stretch.
- Hold the stretch for 10 to 30 seconds, then repeat.
- Begin either seated or standing. Bend your elbows so that your hands are in front of your chest, facing away from you.
- Curl your hands into fists and squeeze tight. Hold for 3 seconds.
- Then, open up your palms and spread your fingers wide so that you feel a stretch and circulation flow in. Hold for 3 seconds.
- Repeat 5 times.
- Start in a tabletop position with your wrists underneath your shoulders and your knees underneath your hips. Engage your abs.
- Then, one at a time, rotate your hand and forearm outward until your fingers are pointing out to the side with your palm on the ground. Bring the inside of both wrists to touch and spread your fingers wide.
- Keep your fingertips pressing into the ground and slowly begin making circles going clockwise.
- Repeat 5 times, then go counterclockwise 5 times.
Trying these exercises once a day will help strengthen the wrist and shoulders and ease any tension