Soups are fantastic for any-time of the day. Out and about, lunch time or when you get home in the evening and are starving! (This is a tricky time where many people struggle – when we are waiting to cook dinner. If some soup is ready and pre-made you are less like to raid the press)
Sweet Potato and Ginger Soup (Serves 4/5)
- 1 medium onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1kg sweet potato
- 2 medium carrot (approx. 200g)
- ¼ of a large celeriac (approx. 200g/250g) or 1 potato
- a thumb-size piece of ginger
- 1.5 tsp of salt (or to taste)
- 1.5 litres of veg stock/ water
- juice of 1 lime ½
- a tsp black pepper (to taste)
- Peel and roughly chop the onion and garlic. Chop sweet potatoes, leaving their skin on.
- Roughly chop the carrots and celeriac/potato. Peel and finely chop the ginger.
- Sauté the onion, garlic and ginger in 3 tbsp. of water on a low heat (add a little more water if veg is sticking to the bottom of the pot).
- Next add the carrot, celeriac/potato and ginger. Add a tsp salt to help sweat the flavours out of the carrot and celeriac, and leave for 5 mins on medium heat, stirring regularly.
- Now add the sweet potatoes and the veg stock/water; and bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and leave to simmer for 25 mins or until sweet potato is soft.
- Turn off the heat, squeeze the juice of the lime in and blend until smooth using a soup / hand blender (if soup is too thick, add more boiling water; if too watery then add something to bulk it out, such as a tin of drained chickpeas / more potato).
- Season with salt and pepper.
Creamy tomato and Cannellini bean soup (Serves 2)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 600g fresh whole tomatoes quartered
- ½ red chilli finely chopped
- Pinch of salt
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 500ml vegetable stock
- Handful of basil leaves (optional)
- 400g tin of cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat
- Add the onion and cook for about 5 mins until softened
- Stir in the fresh tomatoes, chilli and salt
- Cover and cook for about 10 mins stirring occasionally
- Add the tinned tomatoes and stock to the pan and stir well
- Cover and simmer for 20 mins stirring occasionally
- Take the pan off the heat and stir in the basil
- Puree the soup with a hand blender until smooth
- Stir in the cannellini beans
- Return the pan to the heat and reheat gently before serving
Onion soup (serves 2)
- 225g onion
- 450ml water ( or vegetable stock – I use Just Bouillon)
- Bay leaf
- Chop the onions and soften them in a saucepan with a little butter
- Pour in 450ml of water with homemade chicken broth or bought stock
- Add salt and pepper and bay leaf (add some chilli flakes if looking for more heat)
- Let it simmer gently for 45 mins.
- Blend (take out the bay leaf first)
- Option to add roasted veg like fennel, parsnip or celery to add more nutrients and fill you up